We all have our ways of celebrating the coming Spring. Some of us like to clean, others like to bask in the new found sunlight, and some, REALLY know how to celebrate Spring. A couple of friends and I drove to the Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork to celebrate the Holi Festival of Colors with thousands of other people. This was my first time going to this Festival, so I was in for a surprise. Here is a picture of the Krishna Temple from a distance. It reminded me of Aladdin's Palace.

After buying our chalk, we found a nice place to wait until the real celebration began. This is a picture of Lindsey with the "Evil Witch" in the background. This wooden figure clothed in bright colors is burned in a huge bon fire, and afterwards, mass chaos breaks loose. When the witch burns, it's the sign to start throwing the chalk.

This is seconds after I got pelted in the face with green chalk. It hurt pretty bad.

This is the mass chaos. For about 5 intense minutes you can't even see 2 feet in front of you, and you can barely breath. It's a cloud of pink chalk.

We still managed to take pictures and dance around to Hindu music.

Here are just some more pictures of the epic event.


After the initial chalk throwing died down, my friends and I decided to be the "core" of the mosh pit. Here we are linked as a foursome chanting "Hare Krishna" and just being crazy while bodies were being passed around over the top of us. It was a miracle I even got this picture.

If any of you are looking for a different way to invite spring, I definitely suggest attending the Festival of Colors. There are even places for those who don't want to get chalked to stand and watch. It was one of the craziest, funnest, most exhausting things I have ever done. If you want to see some video, go to the bottom of this page to the youtube videos. I've tried to find myself in them, but everyone looks the same.
3 comments:
I have never heard of this. I didn't even know it existed otherwise I'm sure I would have been a committed supporter! Looks like you had a great time. Fun pictures to show the kids and tell them stories of your crazy college days!
HOLLY HANNAH this looks AMAZING! HAHA! SO COOL!!!!!
first of all, i didn't even know you were a blogger! but, i totally want to go to one of these festival of colors thingies! it looked totally rad! and messy! got to love gettin down and dirty! ha ha ha
Post a Comment