Sunday, June 14, 2009

Homeless!

I just sold my contract yesterday and I have to be out by Saturday. Only one problem...I haven't told my boss that I'm leaving yet. (He isn't actually at work very much.) So, I'm giving my two weeks notice tomorrow, and then I'll be homeless until July. I've never actually done that before, but I'm sure it will be an adventure.

It's really hard sometimes for me to remember why I'm moving. When people look at me funny when I tell them I'm moving home for awhile, my little doubts start to creep in. Most of the comments I get include: "I could never move home again!" or "Are you going to be ok living with your parents again?" and "Aren't you a little old to be moving back home?" I have a bad habit of listening to other people too much when I should be listening to myself and the whisperings of the spirit. Why is it so hard to remember those calming feelings that the Spirit pours over you when you are doing the right thing? I blame it on being human. I know the reasons why I'm moving down, and while there are some that can't understand it, I don't think they ever will. I know what I'm doing is the right thing. Yes, it's going to be hard. Yes, I know I'm 21 and probably shouldn't be moving home. I'm not really looking forward to it, to be honest. I love going to school. I love being around people who are achieving the same things as I am. But sometimes you lose your way, and it's just better to get back to basics.

Here's why I'm okay with moving back home:

I love my parents. While sometimes I get bugged with my mom coming in and waking me up at 7 am in the morning on my vacation and saying "Come on Amie, be a spunky-do," she is sometimes the thing that keeps me going. I love when my Dad and I can sit and talk about Advertising. For once in my life, I think we have something in common. Well, we actually have two. We love to write and we love to advertise. My relationship with my parents has actually been the best that it has ever been, and I'm so grateful for that.

My parents let me make my own decisions. They never ever tell me what to do. I've always had the freedom to choose for myself, even when they watch as I may choose the wrong things. I've never had a curfew. They've never been suppressive, or over bearing, or controlling, which makes moving home not such a daunting task.

I'm okay with moving home because it's not a home I'm familiar with. I'll still be meeting new people and having new experiences. I already have a group of climbing friends down there! I have various cousins I can hang out with and I'm never opposed to spending time with my Grandma and Chewy (my black cat that my Grandma has so kindly adopted.)

Anyways, these are just some of the thoughts I've been thinking as I pack up boxes and gather my belongings.

3 comments:

Kimi said...

Living with parents is just fine. We felt like losers the first time we had to move in with Ryan's parents. We were married and supposed to be self sufficient, you are still single and no one expects you to be on your own. Especially while you are still in school. But living with parents was great for us. I got to know my in laws a lot better and spend a lot of time with them which helps no that we live 11 hours away.

Karla said...

I hope Abby reads this! Yes, parents can be fun and good for you too!

terri said...

We never gave you a curfew?
Mom