Thursday, August 14, 2008

Student Secretary

I started my new job on Monday this week.  I am the  new student secretary for the Vice President of BYU.  It's a mouthful, and also a huge responsibility for me.  This job so far, is the hardest and most demanding that I've had to do only because the people expect a lot from me.  I do every little thing for the Vice President and his personal secretary.  If they want someone on the phone, I have to do it for them.  If they want a folder made, a report done, a fax sent, even lunch, I get it for them.  It may not seem that tough, but there are so many small things I have to remember to do.  It all builds up and I've become a little overwhelmed more than once this week.  But these worries always come with a new job. I'm sure I'll do fine.  I already love the other administrative assistant I work with, and the Vice President is one nice guy.  

One plus I have to my job is that I occasionally run into the President, Cecil Samuelson.  Yesterday, while shadowing my trainer, we were walking down the hall, and I didn't even recognize him.  I've only seen him on TV, so I was a little shocked when he talked to us and my trainer responded with "Hello, President!" I didn't register the exchange for a minute, and then when I did, I felt like an idiot.  I feel like I'm in a movie with a bunch of stars. ;) I love the church! I get more excited to see general authorities and other church officials than I do actual movie stars.

2 comments:

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

Congrats on the job. I have been wondering how you are doing. Give it a week or two and you will be an old pro. What great life skills you will learn too!

Karen said...

Hey Amie...this is your favorite aunt posting. Does this new job mean I won't be putting up the "Welcome Home" sign as much?! What great experience you're getting...just be sure to have some fun too.